Structural Department Manager (Design Group)
Company: Barry Wehmiller Design Group
Posted on: January 15, 2021
About Us:Design Group operates from more than 45 offices in the
United States and India, providing engineering, consulting and
technical services for the world's leading companies in the food
and beverage, life sciences, advanced technology, industrial and
other market sectors. Our nearly 1,500 technical and engineering
experts have direct industry experience in industrial automation,
control system integration, facility and process engineering,
architecture, construction management, regulatory compliance,
enterprise technology and other consulting
services.--Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of
engineering consulting and manufacturing technology for the
packaging, corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries.
By blending people-centric leadership with disciplined operational
strategies and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a
$3 billion organization with nearly 12,000 team members united by a
common belief: to use the power of business to build a better
world.--Job Description:The role and responsibilities of a
Structural Department Manager is to manage workflow through the
department, lead the design professionals in the department and to
execute the production of design deliverables.-- The primary goal
of the department is to produce the highest quality of work product
in the most efficient manner.-- In this role, the Department
Manager is expected to instill passion, optimism, and purpose.--
The Department Manger delegates assignments to the design team
while being a leader and empowering the team members to grow in
depth and flexibility.-- The Department Manager must be proficient
in structural engineering so as to be a resource to the
professionals within the department.-- He/she will manage
department resources, participate in resource workload projections
and provide estimates as needed.-- The Department Manager will also
endeavor to grow the business through proactive and positive client
contact, effective communication and mentorship of our
professionals to strive for consistent quality and
efficiency.--Department Manager Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance, support, and mentorship to the professionals
within the department to ensure production of the highest quality
of work product in the most efficient manner while developing best
practices to standardize and improve quality and efficiency within
- Provide regular performance feedback and annual merit reviews
to the design team.
- Technical coordination and communication within the department,
as well as between other departments, Project Managers and
- Oversee the technical accuracy of the work product by defining
and implementing the design concept, leading the development,
actively reviewing work products for accuracy and completeness
during design, and taking responsibility for overall quality of
design and construction documents.
- Perform peer reviews of other professionals' work within their
discipline as well as be in responsible charge of work by sealing
construction documents as a licensed S.E. or P.E. for most of the
projects within the department.
- Perform site observations, studies, and write technical
- Review, edit, and develop project specifications specific to
- Assist Project Managers in developing proposals by providing
hours, sheet count, scope of work, project strategy and
constraints, and appropriate clarifications and exclusions.
- Prepare RFP's for subconsultants, 3rd party resources or any
other specialty consultants needed to fulfill project design and
- Review and summarize bids and make recommendations to award
contracts to Project Managers or Clients for subconsultants or
contractors while reviewing and ensuring quality results when the
work is performed.
- Attend and participate in Local, Regional and National
Organizations that are involved in the development of the
profession or the regulatory guidelines that form the framework of
- Along with the Engineering Manager, participate workload
leveling and coordination, as well as share leadership
responsibilities with other Department Managers for developing
standards and best practices.
- Assist in the growth and development of the organization and
business by participating in marketing, proposal development and
managing projects, as well as being actively engaged in the
recruitment process to identify and engage candidates for
- Relocation; we are looking for candidates reasonably local to
the area. -- For highly qualified-- applicants outside of the local
area some relocation assistance is available.
- Willing to travel up to 25% to project sites, collaborate with
design professionals in other offices, for training, and for other
- Licensed Structural Engineer (S.E.) or Professional Engineer
(P.E.) with ability to obtain additional licenses is required.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years' experience of designing
industrial facilities in the industries we serve.
- Ability to execute engineering work efficiently by performing
design and calculations, producing construction documents and
specifications, performing peer reviews, conducting site
evaluations and writing technical reports.
- Must have interpersonal, mentorship, leadership, communication
and organizational skills.
- Must be a proficient technical writer.
- Must have excellent computer skills including Revit, AutoCAD,
Navisworks, Bluebeam, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be proficient in structural analysis software such as RAM
Elements, RAM Structural System, STAAD.Pro, or RISA 3DEducation
- BS Degree in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering from
an ABET program, or related BS Engineering degree.Licenses and
CertificationsP.E. licensure required and active in one or more
states.--Barry-Wehmiller is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
This organization uses E-Verify.--Applicants may be subject to
pre-employment screening which may include drug screening,
reference checks, employment verifications, background screening
and/or skills assessments.--Company:Design Group FS Inc
Keywords: Barry Wehmiller Design Group, Concord , Structural Department Manager (Design Group), Executive , Concord, New Hampshire
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!