Provides for overall security and safety of members of the
School community and school property against fire, theft,
vandalism, and illegal entry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continually patrols, on foot or in vehicle, all buildings and
grounds of the School. May also maintain a fixed post.
- Enforces all School rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Examines doors, windows, and gates to determine that they are
secure. Locks and unlocks buildings and offices for authorized
persons based on general and specific School instructions.
- Monitors all School grounds and buildings for unauthorized or
suspicious persons, preventing unauthorized access to School
grounds and Physical Plant.
- Warns violators of rule infractions, such as loitering,
smoking, or carrying forbidden articles. Apprehends or expels
persons engaging in suspicious or criminal acts. Reports
student violations to the Dean of Students and other members of the
Administration. Reports criminal activities to the Concord
- Responds to all radio calls as necessary – fire alarms,
intruder, ill or missing person, residence or vehicle lockout,
animal problem, heat problem, etc.
- Watches for and reports violations such as fire hazards,
leaking pipes, safety and traffic, and general security.
- Maintains alertness for sight or odor of smoke or chemicals,
and for sounds alien to the environment.
- Assists with traffic control, parking, and crowd control when
- Assists Health Center in transporting patients and/or materials
- Sounds alarm or calls police or fire department by telephone in
case of fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Conducts or assists in evacuation drills as required and
requested by a Head of House or Department Head.
- Maintains daily log and records data such as property damage,
student violations, unusual occurrences, and malfunction of
machinery or equipment.
- May set thermostatic controls to maintain specified temperature
in buildings. May restart boilers in Heating Plant or
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Qualification Requirements: To perform
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below
are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and/or Experience: High school
diploma or general education degree (GED) and two years of related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education
Language Skills: Ability to read and
interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine
reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to
members of the School community and to visitors to the
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add,
subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole
numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute
rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar
Reasoning Skills: Ability to apply common
sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written,
oral, or diagram form. Ability to calmly deal with problems
involving many variables in highly stressful situations. Ability to
interact effectively with a variety of people in a complex
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Current and valid NH Driver’s License with excellent driving record
is required. Must have current and valid certification in
First Aid and CPR.
Other Skills and Abilities: Must be able
to evaluate mechanical, electrical, and plumbing problems to
ascertain if calling a Maintenance Supervisor is necessary.
Must be able to respond to alarm systems, distress calls, sirens,
calls of “strange odors” etc. All shifts require working with locks
and keys. Must be able to maintain strict
The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- regularly required to walk; talk or hear, and taste or
- frequently is required to stand; use hands to finger, handle,
or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and
- occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Patrolling buildings and grounds requires frequent climbing and
descending of both indoor and outdoor steps.
- The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- The employee is regularly required to work in outdoor weather
- The employee is occasionally required to work near moving,
mechanical parts and in high, precarious places.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne
particles and to toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to the risk of electrical
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Safety positions are full-year positions with a normal work week
of 40 hours. Work schedule will be based on the needs of the
School, with normal schedule either 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 4:00 PM to
12:00 AM, or 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM. Additional work hours may
be required at various times including nights, weekends and special
Must wear School-provided uniform at all times when on duty and
keep it neat and freshly laundered.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three
professional references with application.
St. Paul's School is proud to
be an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to the
principles of diversity. St. Paul's School does not discriminate on
the basis of race, creed, ethnic origin, disability or sexual
orientation, and complies with applicable laws for the protection
of civil rights.
Licenses & Certifications